Monday, December 31, 2007

Begin each conversation with a smile

It was challenging being a young coach in 2007, and trying to earn respect. I think that I left with the feeling that I was trying to be a friend, and not a coach.

A coach can not expect his/her athletes to demonstrate genuine respect, unless their needs and thoughts are placed higher than their coach's. I think that is the key to a successful coach: being more adaptive to a student's needs than a student complacent to the desires of the coach.

Working at Principia College, I understand the intimate side of its learning concept. It was formed from the platform of higher learning, in a spiritual way, for all of its academic, cultural, business activities. It was established "to serve the cause of Christian Science." I take my role as coach very seriously and see no reason not to act from the basis of seeing each individual as an expression of Mind, or God. However, preachiness is something that I want to veer from entirely.

As a first-year coach, I didn't deal with too many tears, or had to seriously consider restrictive practice times because of one thing or the other. It was a good year of learning for me, and there were plenty of mistakes. I learned it is better to under-train, and never to over-train. My best athlete, a female hurdler, would have very likely succeeded to the NCAA level had I not disregarded her wincing, and at times sluggish behavior. It takes practice to really listen, and patience to know that they will feel cherished by your mutual giving in their work.

When former head coach Ann Pierson resigned, she left in her wake a longing for a woman leader with a reputation of coaching acumen at an elite level. I think Chuck has the coaching acumen, and experience with high-level athletes, but we have yet to appeal to all the talent at Prin College. Though, we don't love our athletes any less.

No comments: